[openbeosnetteam] Re: R5 compatibility and libnetapi.so

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:26:12 +0200 CEST

"Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/5/06, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > b) Link libnet.so to libnetwork.so (as done with libbind.so and
> > libsocket.so), and determine at runtime if the compatibility layer
> > should be used or not.
> >
> > b) would be much easier to do and reduce the network related
> > libraries
> > a bit more.
> > I'm also thinking about moving libnetapi.so (and libbnetapi.so)
> > into
> > libnetwork.so as well.
> I'd vote for (b). The simplest solution is often the best.
>
> Did you check a few BONE binaries for not being linked against
> libnet.so?

No, but I have another idea that takes Oliver's problems into account:
Our startup code could know that it's the Haiku startup code - so if
you link something for or under Haiku, it can know this, and the
networking code could then never use the compatibility layer. If it's
the BeOS startup code, it would test if the executable has been linked
against libbind.so/libsocket.so, and if that's not the case, it would
enable the R5 mode.
The only (additional) disadvantage is that if you'd like to build R5
executables under Haiku, you'll also need the R5 startup code to link
against.
How does that sound? Too ugly or just good enough?

Bye,
   Axel.