[openbeosnetteam] Re: PPP up/opened

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:30:52 -0400

> > > No, the PPP RFC. It is very hard to read. The text begins with
> > > the
> > > use of
> > > terms like Restart Timer and Restart Counter, but explains them
> > > somewhere in
> > > the end. This does not help you in the process of understanding
> > > PPP.
> > > Many details in this RFC are not really clearly stated.
> > > I had to read the RFC many times to understand that both ends
> > > send a
> > > Conf-Req packet, not only the connector. Or is this wrong? :))
> >
> > Only one side is supposed to send one, but which one is only
> > loosely
> > defined. In general, the server sends the first conf-req.
> > -Nathan
>
> Then I do not understand the section "3.4. Link Establishment Phase".
> It
> first says that there is an exchange of Configure packets. Then it
> says this
> exchange is "complete" (does this mean an Ack is needed?) and the
> "LCP
> Opened state entered, once a Configure-Ack packet [...] has been both
> sent
> and received.". So, what does this "sent and received" mean then? Is
> this
> referring to the same machine or does the peer receive the packet?
> How does
> the sender know that his packet was received? Through another Ack
> from the
> receiver?

Yes, it's talking about the peer. It works like this:

conf-req produces: conf-ack/conf-nack/conf-req
conf-ack/conf-nack/conf-req produce new conf-req
repeat until nothing but conf-ack is returned
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

"... an experienced, industrious, ambitious, and often quite often
picturesque liar."
                -- Mark Twain