[openbeosnetteam] Re: PPP: dial-on-demand

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 18:42:02 +0200

Axel Dörfler replied this:
> Waldemar Kornewald wrote:
> > That is clear to me and this is the reason why I want to use a static
> > library that contains all classes.
> > It, of course, makes changes in the core impossible without
> > recompiling all
> > other modules, but as we will be the only ones who develop such
> > modules it
> > is no problem.
> > At least, it will work until we get shared libraries in the kernel.
> > Then, we
> > can change the core module (e.g.: eliminate bugs) and all modules
> > will
> > profit.
>
> Please not - for the small libkernel_ppp.a this might suitable
> (although I wouldn't do it), but not for a whole networking stack.
> I certainly don't want to read 10 MB of net stack modules before going
> online (slight exaggeration).
> C is really not so bad that I would want to live with the bloat
> currently introduced by a C++ solution.

I can't agreed more.
Except that we should keep in mind that until R1 new kernel is available, the
only working kernel is BeOS R5. And you never know how things can turn, maybe
(even if I really hope it wont) we'll never reach this R1 final release point.
In this case, I really don't want a technical design assuming in a future
R2 or + we'll have shared libraries C++ support in kernel, or we will face
a vast waste of code.

I've nothing against C++, but both current R5 kernel and planned R1 kernel
features are imcompatible with our modules-based stack design.

Using C++ internally is definitivly an option here, but the whole modules API
should be a C one these days...

> And for your C++ object passed in C function: there doesn't have to be
> any case where the other module must access that object, or else the
> whole approach is kinda senseless.
> But before I disapprove your solution, it might be better to actually
> commit it to the repository, so that I can better see what you've done,
> and where you are aiming at.

Yep, please, create a new directory "ppp" under current/src/tests/kits/net, and
commit your code. It's a good backup practice, and it don't even require to
build by jamfiles at start....

-Philippe