[openbeosnetteam] Re: PPP: dial-on-demand

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:21:05 +0200 CEST

"Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx> wrote:
> That is clear to me and this is the reason why I want to use a static
> library that contains all classes.
> It, of course, makes changes in the core impossible without
> recompiling all
> other modules, but as we will be the only ones who develop such
> modules it
> is no problem.
> At least, it will work until we get shared libraries in the kernel.
> Then, we
> can change the core module (e.g.: eliminate bugs) and all modules
> will
> profit.

Please not - for the small libkernel_ppp.a this might suitable
(although I wouldn't do it), but not for a whole networking stack.
I certainly don't want to read 10 MB of net stack modules before going
online (slight exaggeration).
C is really not so bad that I would want to live with the bloat
currently introduced by a C++ solution.

And for your C++ object passed in C function: there doesn't have to be
any case where the other module must access that object, or else the
whole approach is kinda senseless.
But before I disapprove your solution, it might be better to actually
commit it to the repository, so that I can better see what you've done,
and where you are aiming at.

Adios...
   Axel.