[openbeosnetteam] Re: New stack

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:37:33 GMT

> Hi Philippe,
> does your new stack allow these global dynamic/static attributes that
> suggested some time ago?

Yes, it will, that's the (Nathan's original)  idea, but it's not
implemented yet.
I'll start to add attributs support first to net buffers, next are net
layers *nodes*, so that we could store
interfaces addresses, kind, nameserves, packets parsed infos, etc...

> I could really need some way to set up nameservers from the kernel.

And editing /etc/resolv.conf is not an option?
Currently, all DNS stuff is in libnet.so, maybe we should move some of
this in the stack itself, via
a DNS protocol module and a special socket type?
That will allow network file system to have name services from kernel
too...

> Or do you think it would be better to have a ppp_server application
> and an
> interface that just routes all packets?

No, I don't like the idea of having another userland network server.
The final objectif is:
- a modular stack running in kernel space, frontend driver included
- libraries to access/control the stack
- userland apps, graphical and command-line based.

> Bandwidth is increasing and in some years we will have very fast dial
> -up
> connections for everyone. A kernel implementation is much faster.

Yep, I like better this way, as serial dialup will become less and less
common...

-Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says: