[openbeosnetteam] Networking status

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku Net-Team" <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:02:05 +0200 CEST

Hi there,

the basic networking infrastructure should be more or less complete
now. Also, when booted, and an interface is up, the stack should also
respond to ARP requests. However, that it is more or less complete
doesn't necessarily mean it will work fine - when implementing the
protocols, we'll definitely find some rough or even missing edges, I'm
sure.

Basically, there are a receiving path and a sending path - both are not
completely implemented yet, and must be filled when implementing the
actual protocols. To register a protocol for incoming traffic, you have
to register yourself as a receiving protocol, or, in case your a
datalink_protocol, as a device handler. For sending, you also need to
register your protocol with type information. By registering your
protocols, the equivalent of the "bone.conf" settings file is created.
It pretty much works in the same way.
Tomorrow, I'll write up a more detailed article which should explain
the complete architecture as far as it exists. If you're familiar with
BONE, you should feel almost at home, even though there are some
differences.

I've set up some open tasks at:
http://haiku.jansson.be/trac

Feel free to choose one of them, or even add some more tasks.

Bye,
   Axel.