[openbeosnetteam] Re: Network overview

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:13:30 +0200 CEST

"Andrew Galante" <haiku.galante@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to get ping to work.  The ping program makes a call to
> socket(AF_INET, SOCK_RAW, icmp->p_proto).  This should cause a new
> ICMP object to be created, that is attached to the socket right?(this
> currently causes an EAFNOSUPPORT error)  I assume ICMP would have to
> be registered in the chain to handle these kinds of sockets.

Also note http://haiku.jansson.be/trac - I've actually assigned myself
the task to write the raw protocol support which is necessary to get
ping to work. I didn't find much time to work on that during the
weekend, though.
A raw socket give you more control over the data you send - most
importantly, you can specify the protocol you want to send your data
under. Ping is using raw protocols (rather than the ICMP protocol) to
do its job. Don't confuse them.

Bye,
   Axel.