[openbeosnetteam] Re: Net Stack

  • From: Tom <ores@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:30:32 +1000

Hi,

I don't even really follow the development anymore let alone develop,
but I just wanted to make sure you'd seen the recent discussion of Van
Jacobson's net channels. The talk was presented at Linux.conf.au and
covered moving the key parts of the network stack into userspace to
avoid lock contention.

This design seems like the BeOS way, it gives much higher throughput and
allows for way better scalability on N-way systems.

There is certainly merit in going with what works and hase been done
before. But it just seems like you have no legacy problems to trying
this fresh new idea. Linux can't do it since it needs to stay compatible
with netfilter/iptables/...

A good first read on the subject is here http://lwn.net/Articles/169961/

Tom Young