[openbeosnetteam] Re: Me as well...

  • From: <dreid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:35:39 -0000 (GMT/BST)

Oh for a better windows mail client...

I don't think we should be aiming to create BONE or network_server. I think
we should feel free and unburdened by the past (or convention) to go forth
and create something new that works and performs. That is after all the
beos way is it not?

I realise a list of binaries isn't an item high on the list of priorities,
but often it's important to flesh out a project fully before trying to draw
the boundries and the requirements, wouldn't you agree?  As long as people
feel free to contribute at the moment and say whatever they feel hopefully
we won't have too many "damn, we missed this" type events :)

I'd like to think that having posix compatibility would be high on
everyones list of priorities, as really the best understood networking code
is that using the BSD interfaces, and if we are to have a hope of getting a
truly useful network stack we need to be able to test and know the results
we expect. Also this makes moving code over much easier.

We'd all like more native apps, but the fact is that if we allow people to
reuse unix-type sockets/network code then the developer can concentrate far
more on getting the interface and the usability right - which has to be
good news.  We've been blessed with a very good set of highly usable apps
for beos, let's see if we can't help that trend continue and grow :)

Man, do I go on at times :)

david