[openbeosnetteam] Me

  • From: Peter Moore <peter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:34:17 +1100

well i have been wondering when the list would come to life.

just a brief overview of who i am and what i do.
you might see me on BeShare or BeGroovy as moooooooo. That comes from my last
name, Moore, and a school principal who used to pronounce it Mooooooooooooore
instead of well, Moore!!

I live in Melbourne in Australia, but will probably move to Sydney later in
the year.

I mainly do database administration and development and it's usually on
Sybase on Solaris but i also do Solaris admin and development work from time
to time. This includes anything from boring old shell scripts to managing and
developing for the Apache web server and Tomcat servlet engine (now called
Jakarta).
I also do database design, data modelling, software architectural design (on
a project by project basis), Java Applet and Servlet development, and even
PowerBuilder, Visual C++ and Visual Basic development.

My interest in BeOS networking came about from the need to be able to figure
out my tcp/ip address when i used to have only a dial up account and so was
born a simple but functional utility currentIP. I also wanted to be able to
connect to Sybase from BeOS and once i got BONE i was able to get FreeTDS and
SQSH working which totally made my year (and still does :P ). This also
enabled me to solve an outstanding issue at Axa where i used BeOS to prove to
them that you could connect Solaris to MS SQL Server databases on NT and
2000. And of course i connected BeOS to MS SQL Server in the demo and opened
up another connection to Sybase! Go BeOS!!

I've also ported over a whole lot of utilities. Most work. Some don't
(PortSentry is one that doesnt...oops) and i will fix them when i get time.
My most interesting project on BeOS to date is porting Snort (the network
instrusion detection system, which is what an IDS stands for) and the BeOS
GUI Snort Monitor which uses my compile of PostgreSQL 7.1.3 to retrieve the
data that Snort logs to it. You can, though, run Snort without database
support and it works fine as well. I'll also be developing further my BeOS
database GUI tools as i use them almost on a daily basis.

So what do i want to do and what can i do for OpenBeOS? Well i've never done
any kernel development so i don't know what i can contribute. I assume if i
treat this, the net_server replacement, as though it is a daemon then i
should be ok. It's going to have to support everything that modern OSs
support and most certainly should have the functionality of BONE as well as
the things that are missing from the current net_server and BONE
implementations.

I can certainly help but i work for myself so time is usually an issue. I
don't have access to a BeOS PC where i currently work so i cant use BeOS to
do my "day job" as well as compiling BeOS apps in the background like i have
done elsewhere.

I guess if there was a list of tasks made available and the deliverables for
that task then i'd be able to volunteer my services to help on that task.
Really that's probably going to be the only way i can allocate an reasonable
amount of my time

Nice to "meet" you all and i'll talk to you soon
regards
Peter

Peter Moore

peter@xxxxxxxxx
http://beos.loved.com/
ICQ 926967 (old) 95022055 (new - Oct 18, 2000)