[openbeosnetteam] Re: Interfaces

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:39:42 +0200

On 7/11/06, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Okay, so I'm proposing the following:
- if you create an interface /dev/net/ipro1000/0 it will be the first
interface for this device
- when you want another interface (with a different address), you would
need to create another interface called /dev/net/ipro1000/0:n where n
is a number greater than 0 (since that will refer to the first
interface).
- you can also refer to /dev/net/ipro1000/0 via /dev/net/ipro1000/0:0

IMO, that would make it simple and straight-forward to use.
Is everyone okay with this?

Yes, I think that there won't be any problems with this scheme, so this should be fine. But from the end-user perspective I'd still like to have all net_interfaces merged into one net_device (ifconfig, preflet, deskbar replicant, etc.).

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald