[openbeosnetteam] IRC meeting.

  • From: Erik Reid <reide@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:54:24 -0700

So that went pretty well, I think.  Four people showed, which was about
expected.  David Reid, myself, Dmitri, and BGA.

The chat log is at
http://www.darkest.org/openbeos/netkit/02.01.17.openbeosnetkit.log

Anyways, so what we came up with is a few milestones, which are at
http://blizzard-int.darkest.org/openbeos/netkit/netkitmilestonesset1.png
(I got excited about uml last night, so I had to draw something ;)

Our plan so far is to build all of this on top of newos, in the kernel,
as loadable modules.  I'm not sure exactly where loadable modules are at with
newos at the moment, but that's not actually particularly important anyways,
since we can work in the kernel and probably make the code be separate fairly
easily later on.

We figure there should be the following module structure:

NIC driver
802.3/Ethernet framing module
ARP stack module
IP module
ICMP/UDP/TCP modules

For the moment, the NIC driver should provide the functions being exported by
the rtl8139 driver in NewOS, though this will most likely be evolving once
we start working on the ethernet module.

Jean, I'm not sure if this conflicts with what you're working on.  I'm pretty
sure
it will, actually..  Would you be able to provide a bit of status about what
you're doing/done so far?