[openbeosnetteam] Re: Hi all

  • From: Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:57:19 +1100

        [Zenja Solaja]  David Reid, from GTK fame ;-)  Great to see a
familiar name.  Its funny to see how the universe shapes out, both the GTK
dude (David) and the Qt dude (myself) meeting on the OpenBeOS mailing list.
The irony of it all...

        Now for the rest of the NetTeam, I know I shouldn't be saying this,
since its pretty sneaky and has a "lurk in the shadows" kind of feel, but
have any of you checked out the recent changelogs to NewOS?
(http://www.newos.org/cgi-bin/perfbrowse.perl?@changes+//depot/...)   Travis
is implementing a kernel level TCP/IP stack, so that kind of diminishes the
urgency of what we need to do right now, since the OpenBeOS kernel will
undoubtably have its own network stack, which is bound to be faster than
anything we can accomplish in user land.  We'll also be given fd and Posix
on a silver plate, so to speak.   In order to implement the net_server, all
we really need to do is provide a wrapper (the BNet*** API's) to assure
source code compatibility, and an entire set of apps/daemons (FTP
client/server, Telnet client/server etc).  As I've already mentioned, it
does feel kind of dirty to add window dressing to work done by 3rd parties
(there is nothing stopping you from assisting the Kernel team with the
TCP/IP stack).

        Just trying to put things into perspective...

        BTW - I bought myself a newer car 2 weeks ago.  New toys for boys...

----------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee.
The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference
with, distribution, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised
and prohibited. Confidentiality attached to this communication is not waived
or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you.

If you have received this message in error, please delete it and notify us
by return e-mail or telephone Aristocrat Technologies Australia Pty Limited
on +61 2 9413 6300.