[openbeosnetteam] Re: Hey Philippe, Waldemar...

  • From: Andrew Waterman <awater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:43:07 -0800 (PST)

Scott,

Thanks for the reply!  I guess I meant in terms of "target os" was whether
I could build the binaries on Linux ... and then boot to test on open beos
... that's all I was looking for ...

I'm more than willing to reconfigure my machine at home to multi-boot with
be, but should I do that with the rs5 that's out there?  I'm not too sure
what the state of the openbeos is in terms of running, compling, etc.
What is the best way to setup my box to development? All suggestions would
be most appreciated!

Anyway, I'm excited to help out in modest way.

best,

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Scott Mansfield wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> On Dec 31, 2003, at 6:27 PM, Andrew Waterman wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I was wondering about building the source.  I downloaded the latest
> > from
> > sourceforge, compiled the jam tool to run on my linux distro, and
> > tried to
> > use jam to build the remainder of the source.  Unfortunately, many of
> > the
> > files seem to be using particular OS type declarations ... so I believe
> > I'm out of luck on my linux box.  I would love to know a couple of
> > things:
> >
> > 1.  What's the target for OS for doing builds.
>
> BeOS, but you knew that already, right?  :-)
>
> > 2.  How possible it might be to do builds and development on linux ..
> > ;-)
>
> Not as difficult as it seems.  When at my second home in Las Vegas, my
> Mac was the primary development system.  Acquaint yourself with the
> "--nostdinc" and "-I" gcc flags -- I developed most of the libnetapi.so
> this way.
>
> Also, because of idiosyncrasies 'twixt gcc versions (mainly in the
> ABI), make sure that you have version parity between OBOS and what's on
> your Linux box.
>
> Hopefully not overstating the obvious but you won't be able to run
> stuff you compile in this way.
>
> This begs a different question: if you can run Linux, why not multiboot
> into BeOS?
>
> > Anyway, once I get things up and running, I'm hoping to contribute to
> > the
> > efforts with a dchp client. ;-)
>
> Cool!
>
> Cheers,
> Scott

---

Andrew Waterman                                               awater@xxxxxxxxxxx
P.O. Box 181                                                        510.830.9706
Berkeley, California 94701

                                                                             ---

"The future is beautiful."
        -- Nova (http://www.discogs.com/release/45314)