[openbeosnetteam] Re: Hey Philippe, Waldemar...

  • From: Scott Mansfield <thephantom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 20:50:50 -0800

Hello Andrew,

On Dec 31, 2003, at 6:27 PM, Andrew Waterman wrote:

Hey all,

I was wondering about building the source. I downloaded the latest from
sourceforge, compiled the jam tool to run on my linux distro, and tried to
use jam to build the remainder of the source. Unfortunately, many of the
files seem to be using particular OS type declarations ... so I believe
I'm out of luck on my linux box. I would love to know a couple of things:

1. What's the target for OS for doing builds.

BeOS, but you knew that already, right? :-)

2. How possible it might be to do builds and development on linux .. ;-)

Not as difficult as it seems. When at my second home in Las Vegas, my Mac was the primary development system. Acquaint yourself with the "--nostdinc" and "-I" gcc flags -- I developed most of the libnetapi.so this way.

Also, because of idiosyncrasies 'twixt gcc versions (mainly in the ABI), make sure that you have version parity between OBOS and what's on your Linux box.

Hopefully not overstating the obvious but you won't be able to run stuff you compile in this way.

This begs a different question: if you can run Linux, why not multiboot into BeOS?

Anyway, once I get things up and running, I'm hoping to contribute to the
efforts with a dchp client. ;-)

Cool!

Cheers,
Scott