[openbeosnetteam] Re: Hellooo??

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:04:29 +0100 CET

Peder wrote:
> I don't think I've seen any mail from this list since mid-November.
> Is it
> still alive?  Any updates on how things are going?  Any testing that
> can be
> done (and maybe how one would go about doing that)?

My bad for not giving any team status report for so long.
Sorry guys.

Sadly, I don't have that much to report myself.
I can't find enough free time to put on my team duty, due to
professional issues.
So, apart some progress made on the userland stack debug platform I
should share some day,
nothing really new.

As you may already know, the current core, interfaces and protocols
code (src/add-ons/kernel/network/*)
is all messy, due to his BSD heritage, and lack many things:
- multithread safety, which is very important under OBOS, but seem to
be lost during the code
trip from BSD to our CVS.
- code cleanup: understandable symbols names, code style, multiple
redefinition in public headers when
it should be obvioulsy private. Or the reverse.
- and, most important, make it run again. Currently, all modules build,
but some don't run/load fine, starting with the icmp protocol: ping &
traceroute don't works fine: unknown protocol!

During the late two months, I try to make it run again, but failed to
understand where and why it's broken
until now. I guess the ugly code don't help here.
So, I switch since to the userland stack platform, rewriting some core
module components
in a better shape... Kinda of like dropping some older code here, I
agree.

On the open tasks:
- DHCP is open, but may depend on the stack final interface.
- GUI preflet is fully open too.
- I've no news about NetEndpoint class. Scott, still here? Should
someone else take it?

-Philippe.

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Baruch's Observation:
        If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.