[openbeosnetteam] Re: [Fwd: New Networking Project...]

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:43:47 +0100

Philippe Houdoin wrote:

Anyway, we did talk Waldemar and I about this possible road.
In particular, we agreed on a possible port of the FreeBSD 5.x net stack, making it an huge stand-alone module.
This big module, in that scenario, will replace the current core, protocols and some of the interfaces stack modules.
Yep, that's dropping modular design, mostly.

I would better say: we want to start with something that works and then slowly adapt the code to our needs. The FreeBSD developers are interested in our adaptions, too, so we could work together with them.

But I fear that nor me nor him want or can do it (time issue) was the biggest negative point.
We may find more interrest in David's "Marrow" project instead, as it's sound more like "BSD stack meet BONE".
Waldemar discussed with him, but since I dunno how it came.

That is an interesting project, but I want to keep our code as much as possible synch'ed with FreeBSD, so their changes and fixes get into our repository more easily. I do not know how much behind the current FreeBSD code Marrow is and how much work an update would mean.

And if you're positive, any work done in that direction yet?

Nope. Not on my side.

Neither on mine. I want to finish PPP in the next three moths and for this I spend all my (little) free coding time on it. So, you cannot expect any other progress from me. Sorry.

Bye,
Waldemar