[openbeosnetteam] Re: FreeBSD vs. our stack

  • From: Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 22:25:11 +0200

Hi Andrew,

On 2006-06-05 at 21:50:47 [+0200], Andrew Galante <haiku.galante@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > Andrew, if you don't start to tell us what you want to work on, and
> > what you have done so far, it'll be hard to work on this together. We
> > probably won't kill you (at first ;-)), and mistakes are allowed as
> > well, there is no need to hesitate.
> >

> You guys are farther along on this project than I am, and I am here
> specifically for this.
>
> I'm looking through the BSD network and kernel docs, and will be looking at
> the source later.  I want to see just how big a job this will be before I
> jump in (and start working on the wrong stuff for example).
>
> I tried to install BONE on my R5 install, which only caused it to
> continuously reboot.

Does your machine happen to have more than 768 MB? If so, you either need to
remove memory or install a special ram-limiting bootloader that allows BONE
to work (you can find it here: http://bebits.com/app/3851). Installing the
bootloader fixed things for me recently, when I had the same problem.

> If I understand correctly, BONE is a POSIX-like
> network stack for R5, and won't be used in Haiku.

Correct, BONE is a modularized BSD network stack

> Isn't it possible to test the network stack in Haiku itself, instead of R5?

Well, it is possible, but not that much fun >;o)
The main problems I see is the fact that haiku isn't too reliable at the
moment (please forgive me, folks!), so you may experience problems that
haven't anything to do with the network stack, which might complicate things.

I keep testing the network stack natively in haiku as well as built as
userland netstack under BONE (the latter having the advantage of making
source level debugging possible, aka bdb).

HTH?

cheers,
        Oliver