[openbeosnetteam] Re: Directions

  • From: "Emmanuel Jacobs" <emmanuel.jacobs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 09:28:31 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Reid" <dreid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2002 1:11 AM

> OK, here's an example of what I'm trying to escape.
>
> 5.0.4 - net_server
>
> - set 2nd nic to same ip as first (by accident) try to restart the network
> - total hang

8< snip!

> I mean, come on, it's not that hard!  If this is what peopel wnt, then
fine,
> but personally I'd like to think we could give openbeos a much better
> solution.  even if we do write a compatibility layer we'll make sure a lot
> of the "nonsense" that was in net_server has been fixed.

I agree completely with you.

Question: What are the files or BeOS network related objects which we have
to emulate or replace in order to run our own version of the Net_Server in
BeOS ?
I see those:
- Preference App
- Net_Server (which must have Layer 4: TCP/UDP, LAYER 3: IP, ICMP, ARP LAYER
2: ethernet (eth-II, 802.3-native, 802.3-snap)
- User API (libnet.so)
- DHCP component
- PPP component
 -Drivers (even if we could use Native BeOS drivers at first)

Do you see others ?
I'm I wrong on some point ?

   Emmanuel