[openbeosnetteam] Re: DHCP Question

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 18:10:04 +0200

Quoting David Enderson <DEnderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Team,
>
> I have been looking over the DHCP spec and getting ready to start
> working on it

Great! ;-)

> and I have a question. I saw in the protocol information
> regarding what happens when your machine sends a request for an IP and
> two or more DHCP servers answer back.  I do not believe the spec gives a
> rule for what to do in that situation.  I got the impression that the
> machine/user needs to decide which server to get the IP from.

The first server to reply is used, others DHCPOFFER paquet(s) are discarded
after.

> I've never booted a PC of any operating system on a network with more
> than one DHCP server so I don't know how BeOS 5, Windows, or any other
> OS handles this?  Obviously this doesn't impact my initial work--I'll
> simply assume there is only one server until I get that part working.  I
> am just wondering how we should handle more than one DHCP server.

By simply ignoring them :-).
I dunno if other DHCP implementation handle this in a clever way.

> Thoughts?  Does anyone know how BeOS 5 handles it?

I can't tell for R5's net_server, but I saw BONE syslog messages reporting
duplicates DHCPOFFER rejected packets.

Do you have already a plan on OBOS DHCP implementation design?
If yes, could you elaborate here (userland? stack protocol module?)
If not, maybe we can give you some hint.

Feel free to post any question.

- Philippe