[openbeosnetteam] DHCP Question

  • From: "David Enderson" <DEnderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 10:32:10 -0500

Team,

I have been looking over the DHCP spec and getting ready to start
working on it and I have a question.  I saw in the protocol information
regarding what happens when your machine sends a request for an IP and
two or more DHCP servers answer back.  I do not believe the spec gives a
rule for what to do in that situation.  I got the impression that the
machine/user needs to decide which server to get the IP from.

I've never booted a PC of any operating system on a network with more
than one DHCP server so I don't know how BeOS 5, Windows, or any other
OS handles this?  Obviously this doesn't impact my initial work--I'll
simply assume there is only one server until I get that part working.  I
am just wondering how we should handle more than one DHCP server.

Thoughts?  Does anyone know how BeOS 5 handles it?

--David

David Enderson
Programmer
Digital IMS