[openbeosnetteam] Re: DHCP Progress Report

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:00:52 +0200

Hi David,
good to know there is DHCP progress and thank you for the status report (we
love Haiku news ;).

> I have never used BONE since I was never favored as a beta tester and
> haven't gone out of my way to obtain a pirated copy of Dano or anything.
> My plan is still to develop the core code as a stand-alone executable
> that negotiates an IP with a DHCP server, then I will look into
> integration.
>
> I would rather do my development on a platform that eliminates as many
> variables as possible, so I'll just use Linux for the time being.  Once
> I get the negotiation working, I'll install another copy of R5 on my
> hard drive and install our networking code and try to get my binary
 > working on that platform.  Will that strategy work?

A BSD is even better because our stack is a BSD port, but Linux should work,
too.
The problem with our R5 networking code is that our select() emulation is not
stable (Net+ crashes) and nobody tried to fix it because most of us have a BONE
system. So, it is better you use BONE and recompile libsocket.so and libnet.so
with
BONE_VERSION=1 jam -a libsocket.so libnet.so
"-a" is to make sure everything is recompiled. After the recompile it is
sufficient to put "BONE_VERSION=1" before "jam".

Good luck with DHCP,
Waldemar