[openbeosnetteam] Re: DHCP Progress Report

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:43:23 GMT

> Team,
>
> I also wanted to give a quick update on my status.  I haven't done
> any
> coding yet, but my planning is basically done.  I've read the RFC
> until
> I believe I have a good understanding of the basics.  I wanted to
> make
> sure of that before I started coding.  :-)

What a weird way of doing!
;-)

> If you calculate percentage
> of completion based on estimated time expendature, then you could
> consider me 10% done.  If you estimate completion based on lines of
> code
> written, then it is 0% for now.

LOL.
Okay, pardon me if I wait your first commits before I move up DHCP
progress level.
Also, I don't have admin access to new site team page. Yet.
So, guys, don't worry about the very outdated team status, too.
I hope to update all these asap.

> I have a question.  I've dug up a bunch of public domain code (no
> GPL)
> to show me how to do send and receive UDP packets.  In the past when
> I've done sockets programming I noticed that not all my networking
> code
> worked on Be the way it did on Linux.  Is there anything special I
> should know about sending and receiving UDP packets in Be?

Well, BONE/Zeta and our own socket support should be more in line with
most of UNIX systems, Linux included.
As your task have only to focus on being compatible with *our* stack,
if something is missing or doesn't works like
you want in our UDP support, tell us, we'll fix / expand it.

> What
> libraries do I have at my disposal?

Our libsocket.so, which export the BSD socket API, published by current
/headers/os/posix/sys/socket.h header file.
It should be compatible with BONE's libsocket.so.
We have also an libnet.so which is BeOS R5.0.x compatible,

Both of them act as gateway between userland apps and the network
stack. Both offer the exact same UDP socket support.

- Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Help!  I'm trapped in a PDP 11/70!