[openbeosnetteam] Re: DHCP

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <mrcode1234@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:32:50 -0800 (PST)

Well after looking at openbsd.org and netbsd.org, I'm quite sure that
the "BSD code" we keep referring to is really just the ISC DHCP that
you mention (i.e. those sites don't have any major DHCP code of their
own.)  I downloaded the ISC DHCP code and took a quick look earlier
today, but I'm not sure how complicated it will be to port.  One nice
thing is that it uses shell scripts to actually configure the
interfaces, so that should make that part of porting easier (we could
just call our ifconfig.)

I was sort of wanting to implement this myself, but I suppose if this
code can be ported easily and it gets the job done, it would be a waste
of time to create something new.  Plus the C implementation of this ISC
code seems pretty hairy (but I will admit I'm not a huge fan nor very
experienced with good old C.)  I was thinking of implementing it in
C++, but maybe that would be against the style of the rest of the net
stack, which from what I've seen is all C.

In the next week I'll see about trying to compile this with our net
stack and see what happens.

Regarding BIND, I'll leave that up to the rest of you since I'm a
newbie in the net stack :)

Ryan

http://platinum.yahoo.com