[openbeosnetteam] Asserts?

  • From: Scott Mansfield <thephantom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:23:05 -0700

All-

Pardon the personal posting and public presentaton of possibly paranoid, pedantic, and pragmatic programming, but...

As I work my first task for the OBOS project (libnetapi) I'm wondering what the generally accepted practices for classes that are part of kits are, with respect to assert()'s?

The rationale behind this inquiry is that I like to write defensive, <reasonably> bullet-proof code.

To that end... The long version of this question is that there are many potential points in a program for pitfalls pertaining to the presented API (libnetapi), and I'd like to know how much handholding we need to/should do. In the past, using assert() has saved my posterior, preventing many a programming problem prior to publication. To this programmer, anything we do to prevent this pthisis is probably preferred over nothing at all; thereby preserving and perpetuating our public friendly province.

What is OBOS' project preference to my proffered question? (traduce, "question" es "pregunta" en espanol. Por favor perdon mi acento pobre, gracias).

Cheers,
Scott Mansfield                     ----- -- __o       __o       __o