[openbeosnetteam] Re: Adventures with DHCP

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:41:08 +0200 CEST

> I've been trying to port ISC DHCP to our stack. However, I've run
> into
> a few problems with ifconfig. Specifically, ifconfig doesn't allow
> you
> to change any settings of an already configured interface and doesn't
> allow you to set the broadcast address, nor does it allow setting the
> netmask to 0.0.0.0. This is essential for dhclient to function
> properly.
>
> It's trying to do this:
> ifconfig <interface> inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 broadcast
> 255.255.255.255 up
>
> Which fails, with results you can observe on your own machine.

:-(

I quicly look into our ifconfig.c and sadly it seems the rejection is
in our stack, not in our ifconfig tool.
That's exactly why I don't like userland tools features dependencies.
I guess we may try to better integrate David Enderson's DHCP code
deeper into the stack.
To me, DHCP support is as mandatory as ARP these days...
I doesn't mean we won't have a command line tool (dhconfig, to be BONE
compatible?) to control stack's DHCP behavior.

- Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

If I had any humility I would be perfect.
                -- Ted Turner