[openbeosmediakit] Best codec picking (Was: communication with MCF, XVID teams)

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 15:35:22 +0200 (MEST)

Shatty wrote:

> How does the Kit pick a decoder?  It seems to be
> "first-come-first-served", but is there a way to configure it?
> (they were talking about "priorities" of some sort, that I
> think that in DirectShow they map to a linear ordering, or
> something like that.)

BMediaRoster select the best "Quality" reporting codec add-on after
all of them sniff the media file:

http://bang.dhs.org/be/bebook/The%20Media%20Kit/MediaRoster.html#SniffRef()
This, in turn, call the add-on Sniff*() method:
http://bang.dhs.org/be/bebook/The%20Media%20Kit/FileInterface.html#SniffRef()

This works with file-based medias.
However, there is also a SniffType(mimetype) method that codec
addons can (should?) support, when
the media don't come as a file (stream, in-memory media, etc), so
meida kit can determine who's best "video/mpeg" encoder, decoder,
writer, or reader add-on...

At least, it's what I've understand.

BTW, nice work contacting/involving/evangiling(?) MCF and xviD guys!

-Philippe