[openbeosmediakit] 2 new media addons to support file extraction/decoding

  • From: "Andrew Bachmann" <bachmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:32:58 PDT (-0700)

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to make a small announcement since they seem to be stable
now.  I've been working on two new nodes: MediaReader and MediaWriter.
The MediaReader node simply takes a file and turns it into buffers of
type multistream. (for example, B=5FAVI, or B=5FMPEG)  The MediaWriter node
simply takes a multistream and turns it into a file.  So far I have
successfully used the MediaReader node LoggingConsumer node.  I have
also used these nodes with each other in order to copy a file.  (in
perhaps one of the most expensive and silly ways to copy a file)  It
matched bitwise, which is success.

These nodes are a preliminary step to the next nodes I will be working
on.  First I will be working on a demultiplexing node.  This will take
a multistream and turn it into its component streams. (usually
ENCODED=5FVIDEO and ENCODED=5FAUDIO)  This node will be using the extractor
framework, hence my motivation for doing it.  (to push the extractor
api)

BTW,  I suggest we consider a name change from extractor/writer to
demultiplexer/multiplexer for three reasons:

1. that more accurately reflects what they do.
2. it is more consistent with existing terminology in the media
community. (makes it easier for new users to adopt)
3. it gets rid of having a MediaWriter node and also a separate public
MediaWriter class. (think like MediaDecoder)  This isn't an out and out
conflict but it's just a little confusing.

I don't see that this should cause any problems because I don't believe
that extractor or writer was ever mentioned in the public apis.

The new nodes are in /current/src/add-ons/media/media-add-ons.
Let me know your thoughts and impressions.

Andrew
P.S. The nodes still possibly need work to iron out things.