[openbeos-midi] Status update

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 20:11:47 +0100

Hi all,

Here is my weekly status update, and it's a long one ;-)

* What I have been up to last week:

1) As you may have noticed, I finally uploaded the MIDI team website
:-) w00t! In case you missed the announcement, here is the address:

<http://home.concepts.nl/~hollies/midi/>

2) I also updated the Midi Kit page at openbeos.org with a list of
tasks. If you are interested in a task, or if you think of a task I
missed, let me know. Also, if the task you'd like to work on has
already been assigned, still let me know; there is no reason why no
two people could work on the same task. The page is at:

<http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/tms/team.php?id=13>

3) I created bare-bones implementations of libmidi2.so and
midi_server, and added these to the cvs repository. Right now, both
do absolutely nothing at all, but it gives us a foundation to work
on.

4) The biggest change, however, is the source for libmidi1. If you
look at these sources, you will find that I completely changed them
around. Why?

First of all, many classes were missing from the library, so I added
stubs for those.

Second, Paul Stadler's existing code was not binary compatible with
the original Be libraries. Rather than spending a lot of time
cleaning up the headers, I simply copied over the original Be
headers for these classes and backported Paul's code.

There was also a need to merge the code with Jerome Leveque's work,
which until now lived inside the subdir VeryLotOfChange. That
directory will be purged from the CVS soon, because it is no longer
needed anymore.

However, I messed up BMidiStore in the process. Paul wrote an
implementation of this class, and Jerome wrote another. I tried to
merge both pieces of code, but gave up because it was taking way
more time than I hoped, and I had more important things to do. So,
even though it compiles, BMidiStore doesn't do much anymore. Of
course, I didn't just throw away Paul's and Jerome's work. You can
find their original code listed in the description of the BMidiStore
task.

* What next?

If you looked through the website, you may have noticed that the
description of the midi2 API is incomplete. Some of the methods are
not documented anywhere, and it is not always obvious how they
behave. To answer these questions, I will study the sample code and
write a bunch of test programs. Any help is appreciated, of course,
since the sooner we get this over with, the sooner we can start
coding ;-) The following two pages describe these issues:

<http://home.concepts.nl/~hollies/midi/midi2todo.html>
<http://home.concepts.nl/~hollies/midi/midi2impl.html>

Well, that's it ;-) Phew.
--