[openbeos-midi] Re: SoundFont Parser finished

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <mrcode1234@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:21:16 -0800 (PST)

--- Mark A Johnson <hotplasma@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> GM.DLS is also used on all the other Windows based systems also e.g.
> 95, 98, and Me.

I figured as much, but I hadn't checked myself prior to sending that
email.

> But can I make a suggestion, get the Yamaha XG Soft Synth if
> at all possible.  Simply because it delivers CD quality sound, and
> you can do many things with it as it is, which on BeOS would an
> absolutally incredible soft synth, simply because on BeOS you can
access
> many more settings than on windows.  Like I said only a suggestion.

Are you saying there is a BeOS port of the Yamaha XG Soft Synth?  I
don't know much about this softsynth, but from a few Google searches I
don't see a BeOS port.

Either way, for OpenBeOS we will need an open source softsynth with an
appropriate license and performance at least on par with the BeOS R5
softsynth.  Since nothing like this currently exists, I'm writing it.
Right now I'm just focusing on General MIDI support (since that is what
the BeOS R5 softsynth supports), but in the future I'm not against
improving the softsynth to be competitive with the offerings available
on Windows.  But for now we just need the basics.

I am open for suggestions though (both for the current and future
versions), so feel free to give them.

Ryan

http://webhosting.yahoo.com