[openbeos-midi] Re: Midi 2 Test program

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:09:22 +0100

Hi Jerome,

> What kind of application do you want?
> What functions we need to test?

As you may know, I have started to document the midi2 API on the
MIDI team website:
<http://home.concepts.nl/~hollies/midi/midi2.html>

Unfortunately, I do not know exactly how some of the methods work.
For example, what does BMidiEndpoint::IsPersistent() do? It is
important that we know these things before we can work on the
midi_server and libmidi2.so.

The full list of questions is at:
<http://home.concepts.nl/~hollies/midi/midi2todo.html>

We can guess these things, but it is better to write a bunch of
simple test programs to answer these questions. This is something
you can help me with. It may not be very interesting, but it is
necessary ;-)

> Have you still make an app that I can improve?

I noticed that you wrote midi_player_replacement. Is this intended
to be the real replacement for the MidiPlayer that comes with BeOS
R5? If so, it needs some work, because it crashes in many places.

One of the reasons that it crashes, is that you try to read the
program's settings from its resource file. Unfortunately, when you
get the resource file from the cvs, these settings are gone and the
program does not know how to handle that. It would be better to
store the settings in a separate file in /boot/home/config/settings.

So you may want to work on the MidiPlayer some more...

> Do you prefer I work on Midi 1?

The question is: what do _you_ want to do most ;-) There are 4
things we must do: midi2, midi1, the softsynth, and the MidiPlayer.
Before we can do any real programming on midi2, we first need to
figure out how the API works (see above) and make a design. If you
want to help with this, great! If you want to work on midi1 instead,
then you can get started right away. Keep in mind that you must
implement midi1 using the classes from midi2!

These tasks, with a description, are listed at:
<http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/tms/team.php?id=13>

I hope this is clear... If it is not, please let me know.
--
Matthijs