[openbeos-midi] Re: MIDI parser source (bytestream->MIDImessages)

  • From: Christian Packmann <Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 16:51:12 +0100

Matthijs Hollemans wrote:
> Truthfully, I'd like to get rid of libmidi2 altogether and replace it
> with something better (libmidi3!). The idea of having multiple MIDI nodes
> that can send and/or receive data is great, but the rest of the kit has
> many problems. Some you have already ran into, others you will soon :-)

Thanks for the encouragement. ;-) But I already realized that coding for
Midi2 can be... interesting. Is there a list of known bugs/problems?

> I put some design notes on my website once, but took that down when I
> moved to another ISP. That stuff will also find a new home on the new
> OpenBeOS website some day.

Let us know when you put it up, I'd be interested in reading your ideas.

> However, I am not a big MIDI expert and, to be honest, have no interest
> in developing a new Midi Kit. So if you feel like making your own super
> API, here's your chance :-) There is no reason why one couldn't write a
> new Midi Kit as a replacement for the current one, because the kit is
> completely isolated from the rest of the operating system.

I'll have to do much more MIDI programming on BeOS before I'll be able to
do API design, currently I can't really judge what should be done
better/differently. Well, I'll just wait 'til you post your ideas, maybe
inspiration will hit me when reading them. :)

Bye,
Chris