[oma-loty] [OT] Unicode Databases

  • From: Mike Hostetler <thehaas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oma-loty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:50:00 -0600

This is waaay off topic, but I can't seem to find an answer via Google,
so here it goes:

I've been tasked to look at how to I18N (internationalize, for those not
familiar with the latest buzzwords) for our workflow product.  The Java
stuff is pretty straigh-forward on what needs to be done, and it's mostly
done.  But I'm looking at the database stuff and have some simple, yet
unanswered questions:

o If you have a field with nchar(20), it's 20 Unicode characters big.  If
they are characters in English, those characters are 1 byte a piece.  If
those characters are in Greek, they will be 2 bytes a piece.  If it's
Chinese, it's 3 bytes a piece.  So, then, how big (in bytes) will field
be -- 20 bytes, 40 bytes, or 60 bytes?

o Does JDBC keep the info from a Unicode db in Unicode?  (By everything
I've read, it assumes it does, but you know what happens when you
assume).

o This is DB2 specific -- I get hints that DB2 keeps it's databases in
Unicode form (i.e. there is no "nchar", just "char").  But is it an
option you do when issuing a "CREATE DATABASE" or is it done
auto-magically?

Any help would be appreciated . . .

-- mikeh