[oldgaspassers] Re: first test message..

  • From: james Mellema <cdrm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oldgaspassers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 08:33:57 -0800

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 06:39, Swumpgas wrote:
> Well, I'll continue to work on finding something.. and hope yahoo wil hear my
> plea to
> allow a no ads option.  there used to be a bug in this server software that
> allowed
> people to change people's passwords, but it seems to have been picked up and
> fixed now.
>
> I have see Microsoft's equivilent of yahoo groups in action and am not
> impressed.. and
> again, no no ads feature, minimal archive space and Microsoft is a pain in
> the butt,
> requiring a hotmail email address to subscribe.
>
> Like I said, there are bugs in Major domo/ Major cool making it easy to hack.
>  The
> alternative is listserve, and it has some security problems too.
>
> I don't see the ads as they are all blocked by firebird (the next step up
> from Phoenix...
> thanks Jim..)  sometimes I have to use MSIE for certain plugins, but that's
> rare.
>
> I think Sun won the battle over Java/javascript and MS explorer has some
> problems with
> java, unless you downl load the update from Sun.
>
> Jim is probably more knowlegable about Unix/Linux shell stuff, but I'm still
> looking for
> alternatives with no ads..
>
> topica is garbage... all ads..
>
> still on my quest.
> To dream the imposible dream.................

snip a bunch of old stuff (I read that Caretta;-) I pontificate not
ramble)

Swump, although I find your quest noble, I'm not sure its terribly
worthwhile. There are few if any free things that are worth the cost. If
we really want an add free system the best way is for us to get our own
server, button it up tight, use listserv, and find the bandwidth and a
sysadmin to make it go. Don't think thats going to happen anytime soon.

If people want ads to go away they need to use firebird, or get away
from MS crap. Ain't going to happen. Hell, most of our members can't
figure out how to unsubscribe, not send attachments, or snip unwanted
bullshit from their posts. Look at the number of AOL subscribers we
have, a good share of them won't even get some of the mail from
freelists,cause AOL will block it. If we go to MSN I won't be able to
get mail either at home or at work cause there is no way I will have a
hotmail or .net account. I'd rather lick dog hair off the floor.

My personal feeling is to stay where we are and put up with the crap
from Yahoo. I like freelists personally but the archive thing is a show
stopper. We must have as tight security as we can possibly create. The
chance that our idea boiler could be invaded by the darkside is
untenable.
--
---
Jim