[oldfriends] Hmmm - gotta figure out how to make reply work smoothly... to Sam

  • From: Mitch Harris <mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oldfriends@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 22:26:16 -0500

The 2i2 is worth getting separate midi. Even the $10 "usb midi cables" work great as long as you don't need to connect 2 of them.

Otherwise, I'd add this to the list: https://tascam.com/us/product/us-2x2/top

I really like the sound of the 2i2 preamps, but I have the big brother of the Tascam and it is very musical. I opened it up once and it is all discrete transistor front ends.

Mytch

On 12/19/2020 7:50 PM, Sam Bishop (Redacted sender jsb16 for DMARC) wrote:

Finally moved on getting a new desktop. Bought one from Jim Roseberry @ Purrrfect Audio (thanks for the suggestions!). Now, I need an audio interface.
Don't want to spend a ton, don't need a ton.
Current needs: 2 audio ins for instruments/mic. Phantom power. Midi I/O. Low latency. Nice sound quality (should be first on this list).
I was going to go with the Focusrite 2i2, but no Midi.
So here's the list:

  * Focusrite 4i4 gen3
  * MOTU M2 or M4
  * SSL 2+
  * Presonus Studio 24c
  * Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD

Jim is suggesting the Behringer, which kind of surprises me. Granted, I've been out of the game for a while, but I remember Behringer being not very highly regarded. I have an old Presonus Compression unit I liked, but the knobs got really scratchy after a while. Could just need a cleaning.
Anyway, any thoughts on these? What would be your choice?

Sam