[obol] cougar at Finley

  • From: Stephanie Hazen <stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 20:47:46 -0700

This is a cut and paste from a message I got from fellow photographer Bill
Leach today

I was out at Finley NWR today for a few hours of beautiful overcast. The camas
and other wild flowers are profuse in the wet meadow area. Won't last long. As
I was wandering along the Woodpecker Loop Trail I heard something in the near
distance behind me. When I looked, about 40 feet away was a cougar (young one
about 2 yrs) wandering the trail too. I am sure he was unaware of me because
when I turned around and tried to grab my camera, he got spooked and bolted
into the oaks. I spoke with one of the rangers and he said they have seen the
cougar's signs for about a year now but I guess I was the first official
sighting! It was a real treat.

Stephanie