[obol] Shore birds on the coast, no rarities

  • From: "Linda Gilbert" <oregonjunco@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 13:06:38 -0700

I made my way slowly up the coast from Godwit Days in Arcata. Yesterday at
Bandon Marsh during the AM low tide there were approx 1000-1500 birds at the
north end, 7 species: WESTERN SANDPIPER, LEAST SANDPIPER, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER,
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, GREATER YELLOWLEGS, DOWITCHER sp., DUNLIN. At the Siltcoos
River mouth during the afternoon high tide with a strong north wind, groups of
50-100 birds came up the beach sporadically. Most were mixed flocks of
WESTERNS, LEASTS, DUNLIN and SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS. In the small bay behind the
dunes were groups of PEEPS and some DOWITCHERS along with 5 BONAPARTE’S GULLS.
This morning at the low tide with less wind I checked the Siltcoos again but
there were fewer birds passing up the beach. Some were detouring into the bay
and stopping very briefly before continuing on. At the Siuslaw crab dock flats
were about 25 PEEPS and 3 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS. At the Siuslaw north jetty
flats were maybe 75 PEEPS, a few DOWITCHERS and 2 GREATER YELLOWLEGS.
Linda Gilbert
Eugene