[obol] Re: Red-breasted Sapsuckers on valley floor

  • From: "L Markoff" <canyoneagle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>, <SJJag@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 07:34:33 -0700

'tis interesting that they were missed in habitat lacking Bigleaf Maples. They
nest here and we have no Bigleaf Maples, but instead a mix of conifers and the
other deciduous trees you mentioned. We also are not what I would call
riparian. We are not close to a river/stream but a hilly, wooded neighborhood
with only a few trickles going through that swell a little when it rains. The
favorite tree for the Red-breasted Sapsuckers in my yard is the Chokecherry,
Prunus virginiana. I have watched them drill wells in it on numerous
occasions. Red-breasted Sapsuckers are versatile birds.

Lori Markoff
Eugene