[obol] Recent sightings in Lane County; counting VAUX'S SWIFTS

  • From: bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 21:15:25 -0700

Yesterday (April 7) a LINCOLN'S SPARROW dropped into my yard in the evening,
ate heartily at my ground feeding area, and was gone by morning. I had not
seen one here all winter. This evening a CHIPPING SPARROW made an appearance
here. As I worked in the yard at 7:47 p.m., I heard a couple of AMERICAN CROWS
making a ruckus, and saw that they were copulating near the top of one of my
neighbor's deciduous trees which is not yet leafed out.

Earlier in the evening today I visited Skinner Butte Park and parked near the
Campbell Senior Center. Overhead I heard a single VAUX'S SWIFT. Soon there
will be thousands, I hope. Our Vaux's Swift project group could use more
counters. If you would like to join our group, please let me know. Counts
will resume soon for the spring season. New counters can partner with
experienced counters at first, to learn the tricks of the trade. Agate Hall is
the main focus of Eugene's efforts, but I believe there is another roost to the
north, possibly across the river. If anyone sees swifts gathering in the
evening anywhere else in the Eugene area, I would like to know about it.

Still earlier, I stopped on Fox Hollow Road far out near its southwest
terminus, and heard my FOY BAND-TAILED PIGEON. As I listened to its soft call,
a RUFFED GROUSE started drumming.

Sent from my iPad