[obol] Re: Northern Pygmy-owl at Vedanta & thermal imaging

  • From: "Spencer Parsons" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> ("spencerqparsons")
  • To: jonathan@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 10:13:02 -0700

Asked and answered!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 27, 2023, at 10:08 AM, Jonathan Ley <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You do get what you pay for, but up to a point. Those Pulsar units are good, but pretty spendy. I got my BTH50 for about $1200 (normally close to $2000, but I got a deal). I’ve been pretty happy with it. I’d be curious to try other models though, just to get a comparison.
For example, one of the most popular thermal monoculars is the Flir Scout TK. It’s a trusted brand, but the specs on that unit are not good… I think it’s way over-priced for what it is, and not sure if it’d be effective for birding.
Anyway, check the table on my blog post for more on that.
Jonathan
On Mar 27, 2023, at 9:44 AM, Steve Kornfeld <sbkornfeld@xxxxxxx> wrote:

No doubt you will see more and more thermal imaging devices carried by birders

Night time

Owls –  Instead of shining lights all over the place and continual playing tape to get the owl into view.  Skillful use of thermal imaging gets you on to the bird much quicker

Non-owls  -  Great way to find roosting birds at night.  Surprisingly good.  I had great looks at African Pitta in Sierra Leon last year on a night roost.  Never heard them during the day

Day time

Thermal imaging also works during the day.  Trying to find a calling bird in a large dense bush and on and on

Non-birds – Great way to look for all animals (warm blooded) at night.

You do get what you pay for.  Pulsar seems to be a favored brand (many options even there).  This website does a pretty good job of explaining.

Thermal Imaging for Bird Watching - Thomas Jacks Focus (tj-focus.co.uk)

More and more birding optics stores are carrying them.

Yes, some countries are weird about them.  Most are not

Steve

Sent from Mail for Windows