[obol] Re: Monk Parakeets

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 17:11:42 -0700

Hi Tom & all,

The Monk Parakeet colony NW of Scio was still active through sometime in
2002. I'd have to dig though my old field notes columns for the Audubon
Society of Corvallis from that period to find a last date of
observation, though if I recall correctly, Jeff Harding was among the
last birders who reported seeing some at that location.

I never did see them but once went by to check the nest, as noted in the
header of this list from BirdNotes.

Good birding,
Joel

This report was mailed for Joel Geier by http://birdnotes.net

Date: January 1, 2003
Location: Scio, Linn County, Oregon

Percentage of sky covered by clouds: 80%
Precipitation: none

New Year's Day afternoon at the in-laws in Scio. Checked the Monk
Parakeet nest north of town on the way over, but no parakeets in
sight. The nest hole looked like it might be getting some use though
(hard to tell, not blocked at any rate).

Birds seen (in taxonomic order): <snip>

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis