[obol] Geese near Junction City, and elsewhere

  • From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 20:54:24 -0700

I visited the hunting club on Washburn Lane NW of Junction City and found
a flock of 5 SNOW GEESE. They were by themselves at first at the far
south side of the pond area, while I was parked by the white posts near the
north end. I was wondering how I was going to be able to see their bills
well at such a great distance, and just then they all took off and landed
in with the mixed flock of CACKLING and GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE that
was right in front of me. I could see as they flew that the flock was of
uniform size, suggesting only one species. They were so beautiful to
watch. Good looks at the dark "smile" mark on a sizable bill led me to
identify them as Snow Geese.

Hundreds of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE were present both here and in the
north field along K.R Neilsen Road in the south part of the Fern Ridge
Wildlife Area east of Veneta.
--
Barbara Combs obie '70
Lane County, OR