[obol] Fwd: SwampSpws, Falcon catch, Kingbirds

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:34:13 -0700

Yesterday, central Douglas County.
Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 6:34 PM
Subject: SwampSpws, Falcon catch, Kingbirds
To: ub <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Merry Springtime....

I took a walk around Ford's Pond this morning. I was surprised to find 2
adult-plumaged SWAMP SPAROWS, both calling occasionally. I obtained a
distant shot of one of them (
https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/17146766886/). They were both
in the vicinity of the largest pool of water on the road/dike between the
main and south ponds, before you get to the pile of old rusty culverts and
gully. Jimmy Billstine had 1 on Mar 23, and 1+ on Mar 29, both later than
we usually find them, but today is the latest I have had them in Douglas
County.

There were at least a handful of TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS at the second island
west on the north side of the aforementioned dike. They were mostly hiding
in the blackberries and only occasionally would come out in the open.
However, even when hidden, at least one was occasionally giving the "grumpy
house cat snarl" call; quite distinctive.

Complete Ford's Pond list (69 spp.):

On my way to Umpqua from Ford's Pond, on Ft. McKay Rd., just before
reaching Cole Road (west end near Umpqua) I saw a small (presumed male)
PEREGRINE FALCON swooping down a couple times over a lone tree in a pasture
on the right side of the road, and on about the 3rd swoop it snatched up a
bird. Hard to tell, but I'm guessing it was a starling, and it was flushing
it out of the tree so it could grab it. Anyway, it flew a quarter mile SW
then turned W. I tried to follow it, to see what cliff it might be going to
(to present to a female perhaps?), but lost it before I even got to the
Lighthouse Cafe / Tyee Rd. Junction.

All the way from Ford's Pond, to Umpqua (on Ft. McKay Rd) to Roseburg (on
Garden Valley Rd), I was watching for that large flycatcher that likes to
sit on wires in rural landscapes. This stretch is prime habitat. But so is
industrial Roseburg: there was a pair of WESTERN KINGBIRDS flying around,
perching, and calling, on the north side of the junction of Garden Valley
Blvd and Kline Street. I have seen them here in the past and I believe they
have nested in some cozy spot on a utility pole nearby.

Got home... Orange-crowned Warblers singing, ...Downy Woodpecker calling...

Matt in Melrose