[obol] FOY Bullock's Oriole in Salem

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 12:15:17 -0700

Either female or 2nd year male with delayed plumage maturity in my backyard an
hour ago. I am a stone's throw (er, it would have been a stones throw in my
younger, athletic days) from the Willamette River where Orioles are common in
spring and summer. My look at it was only as it flew away with some sparrows,
but the long yellow tail and much larger size than the sparrows indicate
BULLOCKS ORIOLE, but it was not an adult male. This may be an early date for
Marion County. I have yellow Brassica flowers in my garden which may have
attracted it, and a ground feeding area, from where it flew. I've seen Orioles
here in April, but not nearly this early. While watching for it to come back,
it has not, a LINCOLN'S SPARROW has been feeding on dandelions, a first in my
backyard for some time.
Roy Gerig, Salem OR