[obol] Eugene, Corvallis birds

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 20:50:28 -0700

I birded two hours this morning with Diane Cavaness, who was visiting from
Brookings. Plenty of action at the EWEB wetlands at Belt Line & Roosevelt.
Highlights included about 60 LB Dowitcher, 50 or so Dunlin, 2-3 Greater
Yellowlegs, two Ring-necked Dux, lots of GW Teal, at least three Lincoln's
Sparrows (which should be heading out pretty soon). Cinnamon Teal, many Cliff
and Barn Swallows, a few yellowthroats. Plenty of Mallards including one pair
with young that looked maybe five or six days old. Also a pair of Canada Geese
with young about the same age.

Meadowlark wetlands had a pair each of Am Wigeon and Pintail, more Cinnamons
and a few more dowitchers, dunlin and G Yellowlegs. Two subadult Bald Eagles
were around.

I then ditched Diane, who had an appointment in Eugene, and went to check the
Washburn Rd. private wetlands northwest of Junction City. At least 150
Shovelers were there, along with maybe 50 dunlin, more GW Teal, a single male
Bufflehead and about 40 coots.

McFadden Marsh at Finley had more yellowlegs and small numbers of ducks, plus a
Black Phoebe at the bridge just west of the marsh proper and a calling V Rail.

After a lunch meeting in Corvallis I spent two hours birding Bald Hill Park
with Theo Squires. I had never been there before, a very nice spot. Birding
was patchy because of weather and time of day, but we had a few small clusters
of birds including one excellent migrant flock including multiple BT Gray,
Townsend's and Orange-crowned Warblers, kinglets, chickadees etc. Chipping
Sparrows were active in a couple of places and a female Western Bluebird was
close to the path west of the parking area.

At one location we had a singing bird that must have been a Savannah Sparrow
(from a distance it appeared to be one), but all we could hear were three
rather clear notes. I suspect that we were losing all the fine buzzing and
fizzing owing to distance - an interesting experience.
.
.
Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx