[obol] Early Arrivals Coos County 4/19/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 14:00:56 -0700

I left in the wee hours of the morning and made it up to Mt. Bolivar by
sunrise (SE Coos). There were hundreds of warblers on the east side along
the road that runs at the base of the peak (about 3,000' elevation).
Mostly Yellow-rumps, but also quite a few singing Townsend's,
Orange-crowneds, and a few silent BT Grays. No like finding Nashville
(always difficult) or Hermits. I also heard a MACGILLIVRAYS WARBLER
singing, the earliest Coos spring record by two days (been birding this
area for 15+ years always looking to find early arrivals). There were many
more MacG's down in Eden Valley also (a few miles lower about 2,200'
elevation). Best bird up top was an ACORN WOODPECKER. We now have 9
records in the last 5 years, and none for the 20 years before that. This
seems to be the best spot to catch overshoots in the spring from their
breeding grounds to the south in Curry County. No luck finding breeding
birds later in the season in Coos so far. Calling N. Pygmy-owls at ever
stop on the national forest. Also heard a few TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES around
Mt. Bolivar, I couldn't find any last week or when I was up here in
February.

Much of the same in Eden Valley plus several Wilson's and yellowthroats
singing. Not a hummer to be found anywhere up high.

Down at China Flat along the SF of the Coquille River (past Powers) I had
at least three singing WARBLING VIREOS- the earliest Coos spring record by
three days. Several more in Powers and on down towards Myrtle Point also.
The PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYS were in also and singing. VAUX'S SWIFTS in Powers.

A Curry note, KNUTE ANDERSSON had 9 CHIPPING SPARROWS at his place SW of
Langlois yesterday. That is a lot for along the coast although a pair did
breed at his place last year. In Coos you have to go quite a ways inland
to find breeders.

No sign of any coastal kingbirds yet, any day now though.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay