[obol] Detroit (Marion County) birding 4/20/15

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:41:25 -0700

Jim Kopitzke will post more complete results later. I thoroughly enjoyed
birding the Detroit area today, the first day of summer.
It was a 5 warbler day. Including the most spectacular looks I can remember of
2 or 3 NASHVILLE WARBLERS at Detroit Flats. They are stunning birds, and one
actually showed off for us in a willow. like an Audubon painting, like a
rhapsody, for a couple of minutes or more. There were clearly 2 Empids, a
DUSKY FLYC and a GRAY (seems early for both, as well as the NAWA), and maybe 2
of each, as we kept seeing them. Later when Jim stayed to look for Mtn Quail
down the road, I went back and saw a WESTERN KINGBIRD, both of us saw it again
a little later. That seemed early too. I have seen Western Kingbird there 2
years in a row at this time or a week or two later, where are they going? It
was a great day to be an Oregon Birder. It made sense, several of the species
that we saw more than one of (Jim will post) are species that nest in the high
Cascades just east of here. I just wanted to say about those Nashville
Warblers, what a show, what a show.
Roy Gerig, Salem OR