[obol] County blitzes are approaching fast

  • From: "W. Douglas Robinson" <w.douglas.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 13:38:45 -0700

Hi all,

The Oregon 2020 county blitzes are not far away now. This breeding season we
will be counting birds in several very interesting parts of our diverse state.

If you have not heard of our collaborative legacy project, please see
http://oregon2020.com. If you want to know more about the blitzes, please check
http://oregon2020.com/county-birding-blitzes/

Blitzes are a lot like Christmas Bird Counts, but are done in the late spring
and summer. Counting focuses during mornings on the Oregon2020 Hotspot Squares.
Teams also check out interesting locations between the Hotspot Squares
especially during mid-day and afternoons. For example, during the Baker County
blitz last year many of us searched for Flammulated Owls (with success!) after
a day of counting birds. We do try to see how many species we can find in each
county during blitzes, so it's a fun collaborative effort. Who knows what
rarities we will find, too. Hope you can join us!

We appreciate it if you register ahead of time so we can plan accordingly. To
register, head to the county blitz link above and scroll down to find the blitz
you want to join.

Remember that you can join a blitz for one day or both; just let us know what
fits your schedule. When we are blitzing 2 counties in one weekend, let us know
which one(s) you want to bird and we can set you up.

Lastly, if you cannot make a particular blitz, but you know a lot about a
county we are blitzing this year, we are always interested to hear of
opportunities to count birds on private land we could access or in special
places on public land that you know about. Please do let us know.

Sherman and Gilliam Counties (May 23-24)
Columbia and Clatsop Counties: (May 30-31)
Wheeler County (June 6-7)
North Malheur County (June 13-14)
Wallowa County (June 27-28)

Doug, Jenna, Tyler and your Oregon 2020 team