[obol] Coos plover et al. 4/30/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 16:28:23 -0700

Was down south of Bandon today at a place called Lost Lake. While
botanizing in the parking lot area I had a fly-over calling bird that
sounded like a PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER to me. The location is about a mile
inland from the beach.

Also in the forest there I heard my first singing HERMIT WARBLER. There
were many Wilson's Warblers, several Orange-crowned & Black-throated Grays,
and two or three PS Flys also. No Swainson's Thrushes in yet.

On the way home at Bandon Marsh there were a few thousand peeps- the only
large shorebirds were about 20 SB Dows and one BB Plover. The peep flock
was way on the back end of the marsh, I could make out a few Westerns,
Dunlin and Semipileated Plovers (I like that one Harv) but nothing else was
really close enough to see well. Oh, two flocks of Larids- 10 Caspian Terns
and 10 Bonie Gulls. Those breeding-plumged Bonies are pretty dang
handsome/cute!

Merry migration,
Tim R
Coos Bay