[obol] Coos Wilson's Warbler 4/11/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 10:55:54 -0700

There is a singing WILSON'S WARBLER across the street from our place in
Mingus Park, Coos Bay right now- this is very early for Coos County. The
earliest record I know of is 9 April from back in 1989. Many of the warbler
species show up a week or two earlier in the Willamette and Rogue Valleys
than here on the coast, this is one of them.

I talked to Terry Wahl several days ago and he mentioned the lack of
Aleutian Cackling Geese, well they are in now. I saw several thousand in
the private ranchlands north of Floras Lake, Curry the past few days. They
stage in the area for a little while then all leave normally by the end of
the month. Always cool to see the huge flocks.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay